View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 20

I started way back in 1993. Juan had just won his 1st home run title. I had been collecting cards since 1981, but now I was in college and I just wanted to focus on one player. Living in Ft. Worth I am a big Rangers fan. It was a tough choice between Juan and Pudge Rodriguez (I do have quite a few Pudge cards too). I cose Juan because of the huge power he displayed.

I started by going to shows and picking up cards I needed. I used to love attending shows and finding a great card in a dollar box. I would get anywhere from 20 to 50 new cards at every show. Nowadays that has all but disappeared. Shows are a joke. eBay and the internet have changed everything.

I began buying on eBay in 1998 under the name Juanstraw. I couldn't believe how many cards I found that I never even knew existed. I was able to print a comprehensive Juan list from Beckett.com. I thought it was all great.

I do miss the ability to get large quantities of needed cards at one time, but I can do some of that by buying on Beckett. It has gotten a lot harder lately. I have most of the common cards. Everything I need is very rare or autographed which means big bucks. I only spend between $50 and $100 a month on Juan. I will occassionally spend more if I see a rare card I really want.

My proudest cards are the four 2005 Diamond Kings Press Plates that I have. I got all four for $165.