View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008
Veteran Member

Cards: 676

more info from their site: http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/new...=.jsp&c_id=stl

Quote:
(question from fan- leads to info about juan) I am a Brian Barton backer and feel that he needs to remain in the organization. I know that he has to make the 25-man roster or else be sent back to Cleveland, barring a trade. Do you think the Cardinals could obtain the rights to Barton, and if so, who would they give up?
-- John E., Effingham, Ill.
Many Cardinals fans still seem to be very worried about losing Barton, even after Monday's cuts. However, with only six outfielders remaining in camp, and Juan Gonzalez unable to compete for a spot due to injury, Barton pretty much has it sewn up. Something shocking will have to happen for him not to be on the Opening Day roster.
And that's good for the Cardinals, not only because Barton is an extremely interesting player, but because Barton's spring would have made it very difficult to work out a trade with Cleveland. His stock has climbed not only with the Cardinals, but with anyone who has been watching.
Thanks for answering my first question about Gonzalez's chances of making the roster. So what will happen if he doesn't make it? Minor Leagues?
-- Raul R., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

That's one of the big questions right now. The Cardinals have said all along that Gonzalez said he would accept an assignment to Memphis. However, when Gonzalez was asked that very question by reporters recently, he didn't really answer it.
There's a decent chance that if and when it's officially determined that Gonzalez will not make the team, he could be granted his release to try to sign on with another team. The Cardinals will have no shortage of players to get at-bats in the Minors, so it might be best for everyone.