Juan Gonzalez Juan Gonzalez Online Juan Gonzalez
Forum Bio Stats Pictures Articles Links Collecting
corner   corner

Go Back   Juan Gonzalez Online > Player Discussion > Juan Gonzalez
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Juan Gonzalez News, stories, collecting, anything about Juan.

Old 04-28-2024

Cards: 707

Default Cool story

I work in the fire department at an Air Force Base in Las Vegas called, Nellis AFB.

On Wed the 27th of Mar, one of our 9-1-1 dispatchers walks in my office and says "there was a lady that called for you and wanted me to give you her your cell number, she said something about a Juan Gonzalez card she was looking for to complete a set for her boyfriend and his father'. He told her, I can't give you his number, but I can take your number and pass on the message to him.

I texted her the next morning and said who I was, I got your message, I don't sell any of my cards, but let me know hat you are looking for and you never know.

She text me back and said her boyfriend and his dad have been trying to put together the 1997 Pinnacle Metal Works insert set since the late 90s and they are down to needing one card to finish the set.

She went on to say that her boyfriends father was recently diagnosed with stage 4 kidney cancer and they were trying to surprise his father for his birthday and before it was too late.

The card they needed was the Juan Gonzalez gold version numbered to 200. I looked and I have/had/three copies of that card. I was hooked on the story and wanted to help.

I tried to comp the card out, never easy as you guys know, not many of those cards changing hands in 2024. I looked on card ladder and determined the card would/could sell for $100 to $150ish.

Her boyfriend started texting me too, I asked them if $50 sounded like a fair price, the jumped at that. I'm sure they would have paid $200 or $300 to finish there set, but what kind of an A$$ would I be praying on them like that.

They sent me $60, $10 to cover shipping. I went to the post office on base and asked what was the fasted way to ship it, they live in Maryland, the postal worker told me Express overnight, they would have it by 6 PM the next day, Sat the 30th of Mar, I'm like cool, let's do it. Express mail ran $33.19, but who cares, I was doing this for karma, not cash. When I sent them a copy of the tracking info they were blown away and said "wow, how cool is that his birthday is Easter Sunday the 31st of Mar, so it will be here in time for his birthday.

Well, the story can't be all good, USPS did not come through on their promise to deliver by 6PM on Sat the 30th, they did not deliver it until mid-day on Monday the 1st of Apr. The buyers were super cool though and said "we've waited this long, we can wait a couple more days.

My wife did not like the fact that a woman called me and wanted to know how she knew to call the Nellis fire department? Good question I guess, I told her I did not ask. So while working with the couple I asked them. I guess the boyfriend went on Cardladder, and saw that I had the card, Cardladder linked my name to my Facebook account and through Facebook they saw that I worked at a place called the Nellis fire department, she googled that number and called, innocent enough...

Turns out they were completing a master set of both the 1997 baseball and the 1997 football Metal works set, with the bronze the silver and the gold cards, so not a 20 card gold set, but a 120 card master set! Wow, how much did that cost?

Anyway, check out the pics they sent me of the completed or nearly completed set.

We can all use a little karma in our lives.

I did have three copies and sent them scans of all three and let them pick which one they wanted.

JT

PS, the karma part was the post office refunded me the $33 because they were late on delivery...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240329_080825.jpg
Views:	979
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	2065   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240328_161426.jpg
Views:	988
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	2066   Click image for larger version

Name:	image000000(5).jpg
Views:	1020
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	2067   Click image for larger version

Name:	image000000(7).jpg
Views:	1028
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	2068  
Old 04-28-2024
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 6357

Wow that is a cool story.
Old 04-28-2024
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 6473

Yes, very cool. I’ve done this before when people are looking for and Juan insert to complete their set. Usually it’s a low end and I just ship it to them for free.Glad you were able to make him smile in his remaining days!!

Kevin