Juan Gonzalez Juan Gonzalez Online Juan Gonzalez
Forum Bio Stats Pictures Articles Links Collecting
corner   corner

Go Back   Juan Gonzalez Online > Player Discussion > Juan Gonzalez
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Juan Gonzalez News, stories, collecting, anything about Juan.

Old 08-14-2007
Veteran Member

Cards: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzaleznut View Post
Me neither!!!

That leads to a great question...Which was/is a more difficult accomplishment? To have all the great, unique, rare older cards like Alan, Dan, etc?? or to have such a diverse and thorough collection of the more recent cards like Rob and I ??

I have my opinion, but I will wait to see what everyone else thinks before I post it.
Everyone's answer is different.
It's like saying which is the best ice cream, or what is the best car ever made.

I stopped my collection at 1994 because I liked digging up that older stuff, like the Puerto Rican cards and the minor league cards.

I also liked looking for the stuff you guys call oddball, the stuff that alot of you relegate to a secondary tier.
Oversized cards, posters, balls, etc..
Old 08-15-2007
Veteran Member

Cards: 630

Lightbulb

There is no right or wrong answer. When I started collecting it was very difficult to find cards. Then they started numbering cards and put out a lot of 1/1 cards or 1/5 cards it made it difficult. The newer collectors in five years will look like the old geezers who have the earlier collections. Time travels on and someone who thinks that they have a really cool collection will find their collection outdated by the latest and greatest. This gets back to the point of collect what you like and don't dump the collection. It's not about the money. It's about the collection. Jonas, Alan, Chris etc collected and swaped. We still have our collections. Will you have your collections in 5 years? If Juan does not make it to the hall of fame will you still have your collections? Just my two cents worth.
Old 08-15-2007
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2725 View Post
Will you have your collections in 5 years? If Juan does not make it to the hall of fame will you still have your collections? Just my two cents worth.
Of course I will. I am not new to the Juan collecting game. I started in 1993 while in college. I was very young and very broke and didn't have the resources you guys did. My collection paled in comparison to the "old geezers" until eBay came along and gave me access to so much stuff I would have otherwise never seen. Needless to say, after 14 years I am not about to stop.

Old 08-15-2007
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 3142

I think they both are great accomplishments. The time period that the collections were higher on your personal life states the make up of your collection. I had open heart surgery in 1998 so I spent more time on my collection and it shows. As much as I envy Dan, Wil and others that had great collection 87 - 96 I know that Rob's collection would be the one I would desire giving the opportunity to choice.
Old 08-15-2007
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 3142

But I charish my Ted autos and a few other as I have said in the past much more then any 1 of 1's that I have or are out there.
Old 08-16-2007
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 6327

Default auctions on this site

the problem i have with an auction on this site are.

1. if i bid $75 for a card,the next high bid from a collector is $140 that collector just bought $140 card. on ebay that collector would have bought a $76 card.

2. i believe we are being played "for our passion for collecting Juan gonzalez cards" into paying a lot more than we would on ebay.

3 if i want a card bad enough i get it NOW! only I know what ones those are!

4 $ to each his own!
Old 08-16-2007
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosterbor View Post
the problem i have with an auction on this site are.

1. if i bid $75 for a card,the next high bid from a collector is $140 that collector just bought $140 card. on ebay that collector would have bought a $76 card.

2. i believe we are being played "for our passion for collecting Juan gonzalez cards" into paying a lot more than we would on ebay.

3 if i want a card bad enough i get it NOW! only I know what ones those are!

4 $ to each his own!

Extremely valid points, especially numbers 1 and 2!!

Old 08-16-2007
Administrator

Cards: 1

Send a message via ICQ to freddie Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie

These aren't valid points as the auctions held here are SILENT AUCTIONS where the high bidder pays what they bid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_auction

At times, it does result in higher proceeds for the seller, of which I receive none, btw.
Old 08-16-2007
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 6327

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
These aren't valid points as the auctions held here are SILENT AUCTIONS where the high bidder pays what they bid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_auction

At times, it does result in higher proceeds for the seller, of which I receive none, btw.
you yourself stated "at times it DOES RESULT IN HIGHER PROCEEDS FOR THE SELLER" BUT #1&2 are not valid points? this is from the FUNK&WAGNALLS dictionary! contradiction-noun #1. assertion of the opposite of a statement;denial.
#2. a statement that denies the validity of another.
#3. obvious inconsistency,as between two statements;discrepancy!

you just contradicted yourself!
and thats all i have to say about that!
Old 08-16-2007
Administrator

Cards: 1

Send a message via ICQ to freddie Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie

This auction format is a different format than eBay, it isn't something illegal or unknown. You have problems with the auction because you believe you'll pay more for a card but you'll never know that for sure since the cards weren't auctioned on eBay.