Juan Gonzalez Juan Gonzalez Online Juan Gonzalez
Forum Bio Stats Pictures Articles Links Collecting
corner   corner

Go Back   Juan Gonzalez Online > Player Discussion > Juan Gonzalez
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Juan Gonzalez News, stories, collecting, anything about Juan.

Old 07-29-2007
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 3142

Ok, now back to the Star - The Future set. If they are listed as they came in a set that would also mean the 1994 Sampler cards that came in a set of three of the same player and also the 1998 Pinnacle Inside Stand up guy samples that came in a bag of two cards. Maybe just a notation needs to be added of some sort.?!
Old 07-29-2007
Contributing Member

Cards: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt111 View Post
Ok, now back to the Star - The Future set. If they are listed as they came in a set that would also mean the 1994 Sampler cards that came in a set of three of the same player and also the 1998 Pinnacle Inside Stand up guy samples that came in a bag of two cards. Maybe just a notation needs to be added of some sort.?!
I think these should stay listed as individual cards, since some sets were broken up and someone might only have one card instead of the whole set. A notation about how they were packaged is a good idea, though, and would be enough help for anyone confused, IMO.
Old 07-29-2007
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
Personally, I would keep error and variation cards on the main list.
I would too, but I agree with Rob that miscut cards are not true errors -- just cards in poor condition.

If an Oddball/Miscellaneous section is possible, we are still going to need some rules about what should be listed. I think this is partly what Rob is saying in his "things!" post in Chit Chat. If we don't limit additions to commercially produced collectibles and advertisements, we'll end up listing things like a tee shirt that some Puerto Rican kid wrote the #19 on in magic marker.

I also think that, like with the error cards, there will be controversy about whether some of the things currently on the main list should be moved to Oddball/Miscellaneous. For what it's worth, here is what I think should be done with some of the various items:

Errors and variations: Main List
Other players' cards with a Juan cameo: Oddball
ABPA, Strat-O-Matic, cards with no picture: Oddball
Press plates inserted into packs/cases: Main List
Press plates not inserted into packs/cases: Oddball
Stickers like Red Foley and Panini: Main List
Pins, magnets, posters: Oddball
Signed 1975 Pinto Wagons: Main List
Display items like the '99 Stadium Club Photograph, '01 Fleer Legacy Autographed Cap, and '02 Absolute Game Used Bonus: Oddball

The last group was the toughest decision for me. Since none of them are cards, I put them under Oddball; but since major card manufacturers made them available from packs, boxes, and/or redemption cards, I could see them belonging on the Main List too.
Old 07-29-2007
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Now I got to go to Ebay motors to look for that pinto! The last group will get harder when you bring in the highland mint cards, tins and cans. But I agree if it needs a shelf or wall it's not a card. But then you have the coins and some have a card made just to hold the coin. That's tough! Those I'm undecided on as well as the back door press plates. The rest, I agree on.
Old 07-29-2007
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 20

I agree with points that everyone has made. Let's make it even simpler. If it can:
  1. Fit in a binder (i.e. regular cards, 4x6 - 8x10s, coins, etc) and
  2. Issued/printed by a legit card company
then it should be on the main list. Everything else constitutes as memorabilia and should be relegated to the "Miscellaneous" list. I hate to not have the Pinnacle cans, Donruss Tin Packs & Boxes, etc. on the main list, but we have to draw the line somewhere.

Old 07-29-2007
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 6327

cans and tins are not baseball cards and belong on the odd ball list. as for the pinnacle mint coins they go inside the reg cards and were inclueded in packs they belong on the list. any starting lineup that has a card goes on the list,and any pin that has a card in the package!! should be on the list. case in point action flats.the highland mint is a card!!! i hope you would not put an 04 sp all star patch in a binder AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2007
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzaleznut View Post
I agree with points that everyone has made. Let's make it even simpler. If it can:
  1. Fit in a binder (i.e. regular cards, 4x6 - 8x10s, coins, etc) and
  2. Issued/printed by a legit card company
then it should be on the main list. Everything else constitutes as memorabilia and should be relegated to the "Miscellaneous" list. I hate to not have the Pinnacle cans, Donruss Tin Packs & Boxes, etc. on the main list, but we have to draw the line somewhere.
This sounds great to me -- very simple yet very functional. I suppose that it does allow backdoor press plates onto the main list, but I don't really have a problem with that. Theoretically, every card ever made does have a set of press plates, but they don't seem to be showing up in the market at a rate that is too hard to keep up with. I would also keep the Highland Mint cards on the main list.
Old 07-29-2007
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Works for me.
Old 07-29-2007
Administrator

Cards: 1

Send a message via ICQ to freddie Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie

What about

Oddball

OR

1987 Odball
1988 Odball
1989 Oddball
1990 Odball

(and so on....)
Old 07-29-2007
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 6327

i would keep the odd ball list totaly sept.