Juan Gonzalez Juan Gonzalez Online Juan Gonzalez
Forum Bio Stats Pictures Articles Links Collecting
corner   corner

Go Back   Juan Gonzalez Online > Player Discussion > Trade / Sale

Trade / Sale Please only list Juan Gonzalez cards here. You can also post "Wanted" cards. Please use the FS, FT, and WTB prefixes on your thread title.

Old 08-06-2007
Administrator

Cards: 1

Send a message via ICQ to freddie Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by akar View Post
I won't reveal the winner.
No need to, we can see who won it via the list!
Old 08-06-2007
Contributing Member

Cards: 107

I have one of these now, but it's not the copy akar just auctioned. His excellent description prompted me to google 1990 CMC team sets, and I found this site:

http://www.lakecountryminors.com

I purchased an English Leather set and a Drug Emporium set from him for $19 each, and he says he has nine more sealed 89ers team sets but doesn't know what variations they are. I didn't mention what akar's copy was going for; so if anyone is feeling lucky, you should give him a call and get him to find and/or open those sets. I was really excited when they arrived on Saturday....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EnglishLeather.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	492  
Old 08-06-2007
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 20

I just talked to them and all they have left are the Drug Emporium sets. I had him open all of them. So, if you need a Drug Emporium version give them a call.

Fantastic find Kevin!!! Very resourceful. Aren't you glad you weren't the guy who bid $115???

My bet is that it was adelith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knr47 View Post
I have one of these now, but it's not the copy akar just auctioned. His excellent description prompted me to google 1990 CMC team sets, and I found this site:

http://www.lakecountryminors.com

I purchased an English Leather set and a Drug Emporium set from him for $19 each, and he says he has nine more sealed 89ers team sets but doesn't know what variations they are. I didn't mention what akar's copy was going for; so if anyone is feeling lucky, you should give him a call and get him to find and/or open those sets. I was really excited when they arrived on Saturday....

Old 08-06-2007
Administrator

Cards: 1

Send a message via ICQ to freddie Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie

I think the one who bid $115 is glad to have a copy of the card that no one else will probably be able to acquire.

To me, getting these classic hard to get cards are more satisfactory than any "1 of 1" card, unless they are one of the original flair masterpiece cards.
Old 08-06-2007
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
I think the one who bid $115 is glad to have a copy of the card that no one else will probably be able to acquire.

To me, getting these classic hard to get cards are more satisfactory than any "1 of 1" card, unless they are one of the original flair masterpiece cards.
My point would be that a 1/1 is truly the only one. All other cards have various numbers of copies out there. I would never pay $115 for a card that I truly believe I could acquire much cheaper someday. Kevin shows what diligence, patience, and creative thinking can get you. In this game those are valuable traits. I cannot tell you how many "rare" cards I have found over the years by being patient. Juan cards will only get cheaper as time goes on which is fine with me because I never looked at collecting Juan as an investment. Luckily I am not in a hurry to complete my collection. I enjoy the hunt.

Old 08-06-2007
Veteran Member

Cards: 330

Lake Country Minors must have bought some old stock from another dealer, because back when I was collecting I tried getting my English Leather version from them, but all they had was Drug Emporium.

Most dealers don't keep minor league team sets without big name stars on the teams. Lake Country Minors is happy to buy up these old or obscure team sets.
Old 08-07-2007
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 3142

Well, hopefully everyone knows by now that card collecting will never be financially rewarding again. But when you desire a card, whether it's a card that comes up often on ebay but priced beyound what you want to spend or a card you never see that finally ends up in your collection it's called self satisfaction. I bought my BYN set from Lakecountryminors years ago. Kyle told me he was working to obtain a English Leather and I'm glad his work paned out for him. I certainly spent many hours trying to find one and other collectors had looked as well for me. But was never able to find one. Mike got his 93 Refractor that he waited for 14 years but not because of opportunity but because of set of goals that he put on himself. I promised myself that I would have an English Leather card if I ever had the chance. Alan gave that chance to me and I'm soon going to be able to add it to my collection.

Jonas

Last edited by jjt111; 08-07-2007 at 03:26 AM.
Old 08-07-2007
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 3142

Kyle,

I was told that the few sets that they had made were in wooden boxes with English Leather put on the box much like they did on the cap of their aftershave. But means as they couldn't tell them apart I guess that wasn't true.

Last edited by jjt111; 08-07-2007 at 03:26 AM.
Old 08-07-2007
Contributing Member

Cards: 107

Well, first of all, the name is Kyle. I've been called a lot of worse things, but jzk_ksy Kevin might not appreciate being confused with me.

As for the wooden English Leather box, what you heard might well be true -- the set I got from Lake Country was an opened one. This sounds like something that akar could confirm for us.

Kyle
Old 08-07-2007
Veteran Member

Cards: 330

My set was sealed and it was exactly like the Drug Emporium set.
Plain, clear plastic wrapping.

I called or e-mailed every minor league card dealer I could find, no one knew what I was talking about when I told them I wanted the English Leather version. I had them all look, even Lake Country Minors.
Even the place I eventually bought it from, didn't know there was a difference.

I am guessing that if that set had special packaging at least one person one have known what I meant by the English Leather version.