Juan Gonzalez Juan Gonzalez Online Juan Gonzalez
Forum Bio Stats Pictures Articles Links Collecting
corner   corner

Go Back   Juan Gonzalez Online > Player Discussion > Juan Gonzalez

Juan Gonzalez News, stories, collecting, anything about Juan.

Old 10-07-2006
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 20

Default Good Auctions

I think that it would be nice to let each other know when there are auctions that we see for cards one of us need.

Freddie, This would be one for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/03-DONRUSS-STUDI...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-07-2006
Administrator

Cards: 1

Send a message via ICQ to freddie Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie

Yeah I already saw that one. At the moment I am trying to limit my self to not more than $3 for non serial GU cards that routinely sell for $1 - $2. That one is $4 shipped..

I do think the topic of the thread is a great idea though.
Old 10-08-2006
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

You make a good point Freddie. I don't mean to get on a soapbox, but what is the deal with eBay. Does anyone else find the s/h to be a rip off? Too many sellers use shipping as a way to raise margins.

Let's say there is a card that you need and it books for $2.50. The seller think he is making a good deal by starting the auction at $0.99. However, when you add in shipping at even $2 then you are now paying 120% of high book value for a card that should cost no more than $1 at your local shop.

Then you have cases like I faced today...I paid $5 for shipping. F-i-v-e dollars. Now, it was a card I really wanted so I am paying it, but still...it certainly enters my mind when I am bidding. I look at the total cost to get the card to my house.

Think this thru with me for a second. A card cost $0.69 to mail, $0.25 for the bubble mailer, a dime for the topload. Add $0.50 for listing fees and nobody should charge more than $2 for shipping. Most people do charge that I realize, but way too many gouge you. I send emails to the high shipping sellers, but they usually come back with some smart aleck remark. Most don't care.

That is another reason I buy from beckett so much is the ability to get several cards from one dealer all at once and save on shipping.

I think paying $3 to $5 total for any game used card serial numbered over 50 is a good deal. More than that and I am not inclined to bid. I guess that is where patience comes in.

Oh well, I have to go...I have some auctions ending soon and I need to do some stretching before I have to bend over and take it up the...
Old 10-08-2006
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to freddie Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie

I think we all factor the s/h price into the card's total before bidding. I can't really count my local card shops - if they had Juan Gonzalez cards, they would be 75% of high book.

I spend a lot of time in the eBay shops looking for sellers who have multiple $5 - $10 BV cards that I need and charge $.25 or $.50 for each additional card.

Don't waste time contacting sellers as they will each have their own reason and will shove it down your throat. Gas, time, etc, etc.
Old 10-08-2006
Administrator

Example I just bought all these from one seller an hour ago:

2004 JUAN GONZALEZ GAME-USED BAT SWATCH SP'100
2002 JUAN GONZALEZ INDIANS RBI KINGS GAME-USED BAT
2004 JUAN GONZALEZ TIMBER&THREADS GAME-USED BAT SWATCH
2004 JUAN GONZALEZ DUAL GAME-WORN JERSEY SP'150

Each card was $2.49 and S/H was $4.50. The way I look at is - I paid $5.49 for one card and $3 for 3 cards. I couldn't have done any better if I was patient and bid on each card in other auctions.
Old 10-09-2006
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/Juan-Gonzalez-Du...QQcmdZViewItem

Thought you might like this Freddie.
Old 10-09-2006
Administrator

Yeah I've been pondering that auction. Guess waiting for someome to take it or bid on it to decide it for me.
Old 10-09-2006
Administrator

I'll pass. I would bid $10 but not $15. I have been able to find similar sets of cards in eBay shops from sellers who combine s/h for cheaper.
Old 10-10-2006
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I don't know if it is just me, but I see Juan's cards going for a lot more than they used to. There are many more bids and it is tougher to find bargains. Just thought I wuold get everybody's take.
Old 10-10-2006
Administrator

Yes, there seems to be an uptake going on.