Juan Gonzalez Juan Gonzalez Online Juan Gonzalez
Forum Bio Stats Pictures Articles Links Collecting
corner   corner

Go Back   Juan Gonzalez Online > Off Topic > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The non Juan Gonzalez area.

Old 02-09-2009
Administrator

Cards: 1

Send a message via ICQ to freddie Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie
Default Hall of Fame

Will any player on this card make it into the hall of fame? We know Juan will not because he has borderline numbers when coupled with the sterioid allegation make it never going to happen. Palmeiro sort of "snuck" up to having hall of fame numbers, so the voters would be inclined to wait on him but due to the finger wagging coupled with the steroid test, he isn't going to be elected. Pudge and Arod are the more interesting cases. As the years go by, Canseco's book(s) gain more credibility. Pudge will suffer for being named in that book but I don't have a guess as to how it will affect him.

Arod, since has has "confessed", I think he will get a pass since he has done what Bonds refuses to do.

Old 02-09-2009
Rookie Member

Default ARod

As a 1993-2000 ARod collector, I am a bit disappointed how things worked out today, but I do have to say it's always been in the back of my mind that he probably used steroids. The effects on his body were much more subtle than with Barry Bonds, but you could notice a difference between the Mariners years and the Texas years. I always hoped that it was just a change in workout habits, but that was probably just "denial hope".

Bonds has always been a grade-A jerk and a lot of the criticism and animosity that he faces were brought on by himself. At least ARod admitted he used steroids - it makes Bonds' arrogance even more laughable. Will baseball fans forgive ARod? Perhaps. Unlike Bonds, he had a lot of people pulling for him, and I don't think all of them will jump off the bandwagon. However, there will definitely be those writers and voters for the Hall who will never vote for him. I may be biased, but I do think he should get in the Hall, provided he has some continued success. And even though I sound incredibly anti-Bonds, I actually think the sad truth is that Bonds WAS one of the best players in the game even without the 'roids.

Time will tell if ARod's decision to admit use will help - I think it will in the long run. I actually am curious to know what Rangers fans think about ARod. He was only a Ranger for three years, but I am sure that it was enough time for fans to develop an opinion one way or another. Let me know your opinions, guys!
Old 02-09-2009
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to freddie Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie

Arod performed and I never had any problems with him.

"Psst, Arod, what are you using"? "Oh, truthfully, I don't know what it is". "Me, neither".

I believe Juan and Pudge were on the juice like the rest of the Ranger's crew. I don't have any issue with it as I don't draw lines between what is considered "acceptable" and what isn't so let the men do whatever they want to their bodies.
Old 02-09-2009
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 6364

A Rod "confessed" after being caught...anyone recall the 60 minutes interview where his answer was "NO" the being asked if he ever used?He came clean after he was busted...so I don't think he is any better than Bonds...Would he have come clean if SI story never came out?I don't think so...

Kevin
Old 02-09-2009
Veteran Member

I AM NOT MAD AT STEROID USERS - who cares what everyone (& I mean everyone) did from 1985-2003. They test now and you get suspended if you use. It was not banned by baseball so who cares. They knew what was going on. Guys had stuff sitting in their lockers for reporters to see. I AM MAD THAT MY TAXES ARE PAYING FOR WITCH HUNTS. We are talking tens of millions of dollars. Who cares?
Old 02-09-2009
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 3142

I also agree with Rob and Chris. Whether it was the ball or the player everyone was aware that there was a change happening. ARod still is tops in many areas and is tested plenty so even now he continues to put together Hall of Fame stats. I wonder if the Babe was ahead of his time when he hit more homeruns then most teams did? What was in the JD bottle?

Jonas
Old 02-09-2009
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 20

In my opinion, ALL FOUR deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. Their accomplishments speak for themselves. Pudge will get in for sure. A-Rod is very likely to get in. Raffy is very unlikely to get in and no way for Juan.

As a Texas Rangeroids fan, I am in full agreement with Chris on this. Who cares what they did in those years? It wasn't against the rules. No one should get on their moral high horse because there are very few of us who would not use if we had that much money riding on it. If baseball cared so much they should have done something about it much sooner than they did.

As far as the Hall of Fame goes, it has to be an "all or none" deal. Either everyone in the Steroid Era is considered for election based on the merit of their statistics on the field of play or no one is. It is impossible to know who used and who didn't.

Just one man's opinion.

Old 02-10-2009
Administrator

I agree that if any one "suspected" of steriods, even someone like Pudge, gets elected, then they all get elected. I think enough voters are hard up that they will keep all suspected players out, even Bonds. Arod has a long time to go so perhaps it will cool off enough by 2020.
Old 02-10-2009
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 6318

like i stated a looooong time ago in this forum! Ruth was an adulterer and a boozer! Mantle was a drunk! and my beloved Ryne Sandberg had an affair with his baby sister!!!!!,got a divorce and married her! But he played the "RIGHT" way. RIGHT!!!!
talk about perfomance enhancing what the hell do you call ADVIL?
sorry Ryan that is legal! all those self righteous reporters and wrighters just make me SICK.i think i am going to puke!
Old 02-11-2009
Veteran Member

Cards: 630

Very good post by Freddie. I think that A-Fraud has a problem. It also points out how arragent baseball owners are and also the baseball commission. They know what was going on but it sold tickets so they just watched.

There was a period of dead ball baseball and this will be known as the steroid period of baseball and life will go on. Unless someone like Clemmons and Bonds rubs the fans noses in it, baseball will not take any actions. I do not see the guys voting for the hall of fame denying anyone that didn't get caught with their fingers in the cookie jar. The other foot could drop if the list of the other 124 guys who failed the steroid test a few years ago like A-Fraud gets published and the fans raise a stink. THe owners will respond if it is in their best financial interest to do so. If not, players like [fill in the name of your favorite druggie baseball player] get 5 chances after flunking drug tests to prove they really didn't mean to do drugs.