Juan Gonzalez Juan Gonzalez Online Juan Gonzalez
Forum Bio Stats Pictures Articles Links Collecting
corner   corner

Go Back   Juan Gonzalez Online > Player Discussion > Juan Gonzalez
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Juan Gonzalez News, stories, collecting, anything about Juan.

Old 02-15-2008
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 20

You are right Rob!!! Prices are going nuts!!! I can't win anything.

Old 02-15-2008
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 3142

Shakingit is a guy that lives about 20 miles from me. He comes to my house once in a while to visit as he worked with me when he was just out of school. He now owns a fuel tanker business. His collection is mostly new stuff and all just thrown in boxes. He buys on a whim just so I think we have something to talk about. His 15 yr old daughter got raped just before Thanksgiving and he has been in the dumps. I have spent more then the normal time with him trying to get his moral up. He knows I’m a little disinterested in collecting after seeing what Sam has and I not even being aware that he existed. His collection has reached what I had hoped a lifetime of collecting would accomplish. Rich knows I watch ebay for Ted auto cards and is trying to get me ignited again I’m sure. He would not bid on a card that I asked him not too so if you need one that he has bid on let me know. (I asked him to bid off on the Gold/Silver 97 Pinn Xpress metal cards that are on ebay, as I like to use them for office paperweights and plan on getting them). He won’t join here, as we are nothing but old men needing to get out more according to him.

Prices seem to be higher now but they are normally higher early in the year and drop later, after the season.

Losing Kyle as a Juan collector was a great loss as a representative of us Gonzalez collectors in the hobby!

Jonas
Old 02-15-2008
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

To think that Sam has 67 different 1998 Topps Tek Diffractors and between Rob, Mike, Roberto, Kevin and myself we have a total of 23 different ones. I'm so depressed The chances of coming close to collecting that many is zip! There isn't a diffractor on Ebay for any player at this time and only a Derick Bell on all of Beckett. The opportunity to find one is much harder to come accross then the dollars to obtain it

Jonas
Old 02-16-2008
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 20

You shouldn't get depressed Jonas. It is admirable what Sam has ammassed in his collection not to mention impressive. It is easy to get "Juan envy" over others' collections. I have seen Rob's collection up close and personal...twice and I am not jealous as much as I am awestruck.

Keep your chin up and keep plugging away...one card at a time.

Old 02-16-2008
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 5041

Thumbs up

Let me tell you something, at the time there were all of the Juan Gonzalez Topps Tek out there, I was able to buy all I want to pay for, at that time they were out of the question in prices, I believe that's the first 1/10 cards of Juan, and all of them have the same picture with a different background, even the common cards were so much of the same card for me, that I decide not to purchase many of them. That's why I don't have many, instead I decide to go for the rarest and different cards of Juan. I don't regret that at this point in time. Of course I would like to have more of them, now that they are cheaper and I can afford them. Also i enjoy every collection the rest of the guys shows in this page, and if someday I can add more cards to my collection that will be fine but I just admire Juan so much that I don't even care I can not have all of his cards.

Roberto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt111 View Post
To think that Sam has 67 different 1998 Topps Tek Diffractors and between Rob, Mike, Roberto, Kevin and myself we have a total of 23 different ones. I'm so depressed The chances of coming close to collecting that many is zip! There isn't a diffractor on Ebay for any player at this time and only a Derick Bell on all of Beckett. The opportunity to find one is much harder to come accross then the dollars to obtain it

Jonas
Old 02-16-2008
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 6327

just after i put the good stuff on ebay sam sent me a private message with a list of low print runs and the more rare stuff.he bought a little over 150 cards of the over 300 on the list he sent me. some on his list i would not sell even tho i have doubles. i would not sell 1st# last# or jersey# the 95 donruss printers proof i would not sell him,to rare.he made an offer i could not refuse! so all you have to do is ask! roberto did also out side of ebay.i have also sold quite a few to mike.i do not like selling on ebay to much. my combinded ebay & paypal fees were over $400!!! the last time.i do not think i will do this to often.i still have over 4000 cards not on my list all doubles some rare ones.it takes a lot of time. i work 6 days a week in the winter months so my off time is rare. if juan does make the team what little of the rare stuff is left may come out and it may not! but it will cost more. it already has like i said before. how much did we pay for his cards 10 years ago sam told me he paid $1000 each for the 1998 crusade reds at the national in 98! so if you ask me his cards are dirt cheap right now i won the 05 tools auto for $36 numbered to 10 its the 1st one i have seen.$36 for a #/10 i need.all day long!! people i would not want to collect jeter cards! the same one went for $234 in december.hell i paid that"$36" for my first 1994 elite in 1995!there are 10,000 of those. so supply and demand.get them when you can.you may not see that card you need again.'there's no crying in baseball!!" card collecting!
Old 02-16-2008
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Wil (aircorp42k) is the only other person I know that has a Crusader Red. They were extremely expensive and I can see them being sold for a grand in 98. The internet brought collectors cards and at a much cheaper price in the following years with auction sites especially Ebay.