Juan Gonzalez Juan Gonzalez Online Juan Gonzalez
Forum Bio Stats Pictures Articles Links Collecting
corner   corner

Go Back   Juan Gonzalez Online > Player Discussion > Juan Gonzalez

Juan Gonzalez News, stories, collecting, anything about Juan.

Old 09-30-2006
Administrator

Cards: 1

Send a message via ICQ to freddie Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie
Default 87 Gastonia

I just received the 87 Gastonia that I won for $.99 in eBay. I already have one of these PSA 8 and this new one is different. The PSA copy has an off white back, the new one has a perfect white back. The fonts are slightly different as well. The fonts on the front are slightly different as well.

Now I'm wondering

(A) Is this a known variation.
(B) Is this one of these a counterfit?
(C) Is this a known reprint?

Here are hi-red images:

front
back

Last edited by freddie; 09-30-2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2006
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 20

No idea.
Old 10-01-2006
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 3142

I have several graded and ungraded and they seem to be made of poor paper as many aren't as white as I feel they should be. My ungraded ones seem to be brighter white for some reason though.

Jonas
Old 10-01-2006
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to freddie Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie

The fonts are obviously different so they weren't printed at the same time. That is what worries me the most. I'll see if I can find someone at Beckett that can help or I'll just send it in to BGS grading.
Old 10-03-2006
Administrator

I believe one of them is a fake. This newer one, is whiter and the blue lines on the baseball in the rangers logo are perfectly clear. The PSA 8 copy I have is offwhite and the lines in the logo are blurry. So either PSA graded a fake or the fake is actually printed better.

I can't send this to PSA as I am not purchasing a membership. BGS grading is $8 for the card, $8 for the return shipping and $6 for the require insurance. $22 is a bit much.
Old 10-03-2006
Administrator

Found this on beckett.com

n December of 2002, alert Senior Graders at BGS discovered newly created counterfeits of the 1989 Tulsa Drillers Grand Slam Minor League set.

Thus far, both Juan Gonzalez and Sammy Sosa (Sosa fake shown at right) have been found. It is likely they are the only two produced, however they clearly were printed off in sheets, making it feasible that the entire set could have been forged in order to more easily pass off counterfeits in complete set form.

The cards are standard re-screened counterfeits, resulting in the usual telltale print dots. All areas of text on the cards should appear very crisp, but on the fakes, the print dot pattern creates a fuzzy appearance to all of the lettering and lines. The white letters, while not completely filled in with dots, do have a smattering of dots visible.

On the back of the cards, which is composed of black and white text, all lettering shows the same print dot pattern, In particular, focus on the statistics, which exhibit very obvious print dots throughout.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tulsa_fakelogo.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	106