Juan Gonzalez Juan Gonzalez Online Juan Gonzalez
Forum Bio Stats Pictures Articles Links Collecting
corner   corner

Go Back   Juan Gonzalez Online > Player Discussion > Juan Gonzalez

Juan Gonzalez News, stories, collecting, anything about Juan.

Old 09-19-2011
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 20

Default Freedom Card Board

Our website here is getting some pretty nice pub over at Freedom Card Board thanks to Rob.

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/foru...07763#p2007763

If you have never been to it, it is a great place to see what is going on with the hobby. I encourage you to check it out. There are a lot of prospect collectors there so beware!!

It always cracks me up when someone is willing to pay some insane amount of money for a card of a guy who has never even played in the major leagues. Total gambling!!

Old 09-19-2011
Administrator

Cards: 1

Send a message via ICQ to freddie Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie

I have considered the idea of expanding into other players for a charge. Juan would always be free but everyone else would be money. The issues are:

1. You guys did all the work of uploading the pictures and it is the pictures that make the site. Hard to charge people and expect them to upload the pictures at the same time.

2. The card companies own the rights to the card images and turning this around for profit becomes a tricky proposition.

3. Beckett seems to own a copyright on the generic collector lists. This would also draw their attention.

Still, I might make a few freelists for the other players that the Juan collectors here collect, like Pudge, Hamilton, Greer, Blalock, etc..
Old 09-20-2011
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 5041

You can count with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
I have considered the idea of expanding into other players for a charge. Juan would always be free but everyone else would be money. The issues are:

1. You guys did all the work of uploading the pictures and it is the pictures that make the site. Hard to charge people and expect them to upload the pictures at the same time.

2. The card companies own the rights to the card images and turning this around for profit becomes a tricky proposition.

3. Beckett seems to own a copyright on the generic collector lists. This would also draw their attention.

Still, I might make a few freelists for the other players that the Juan collectors here collect, like Pudge, Hamilton, Greer, Blalock, etc..
Old 09-20-2011
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I have tried to provide encouragement to you with my responses below.

• True and so would other player collectors. You just have to provide the framework for them. I love being able to participate in the growth of this site. They will not be forced to upload pictures, but it will only make their site better. Maybe you assign a moderator (the most committed person for each player) and only charge them half price of give it to them for free. That way you do not have to do all of the work.
  • Zistle.com is a website that only grows its card database by members participating in the process and it is pretty good.
  • The card companies may own the rights to the images, but I own the card and I am simply displaying an item that I own. No copyright imfringement there. You are not making money directly from the card images...they are simply an aspect of it.
  • Huh? Really? Beckett owns a copyright to make a list of cards? So I can't have my own independent list of cards of a particular player? Seems a little crazy to me.
  • BTW, I would love a Hamilton or Pudge site (or both) with similar design to this one.
The site you have created is truly envied in the player collecting community. You should be proud of your work.

Old 09-20-2011
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 6318

I would love to have Aramis Ramirez on a site like this.That would be truly AWESOME.
Old 09-20-2011
Administrator

Cards: 1

Send a message via ICQ to freddie Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie

I didn't know about www.zistle.com

Why don't you guys just use that to track collections? It looks like it is done well.
Old 09-21-2011
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I do, but it is not nearly as easy to use as your format is.

I will say that it is nice to be able to keep several collections on one site. It also has pretty robust search capabilities.