Juan Gonzalez Juan Gonzalez Online Juan Gonzalez
Forum Bio Stats Pictures Articles Links Collecting
corner   corner

Go Back   Juan Gonzalez Online > Player Discussion > Juan Gonzalez
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Juan Gonzalez News, stories, collecting, anything about Juan.

Old 08-02-2007
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 3142

How about our XXX/100 backdoor cards then. Or my avator card, unreleased or so called proto/sample 1998 Select numbers. I don't feel we will be flooded with press plate cards and because of that and some other nice back door stuff I lean to have them on the main list. If they didn't go for so much I would also have em. But I don't.
Old 08-02-2007
Administrator

Cards: 1

Send a message via ICQ to freddie Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie

I assume that almost every card has 8 or more press plates that were employed in the manufacturer of that card. They seem very much a different category that something that was intentionally produced, such as XXX/XXX, sample, unreleased cards. Those items should be on the main list, as they are now.
Old 03-15-2008
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzaleznut View Post
I have a Pacific Omega back door press plate.

Shouldn't these remain on the odd ball page and not the one of one page?

I was also hoping for input from others besides myself and Rob on the proof cards (oversize cards) before we have proofers proofs to add!

Jonas

Old 03-15-2008
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 20

I have comments about both issues Jonas is bringing up. This is just my opinion:

1) All press plates, unless proven to have more than one copy should go on the 1 of 1 list. It does't matter if they came out the front or back door. They are legitimate versions of mainstream cards.

2) A "proof" constitutes a card that carries the same or very similar characteristics as the underlying card. The main difference is they are generally larger in size. Not only is the overall dimensions of the card bigger than standard, but the actual picture itself is larger. I have heard that this was done as a final color check for the card manufacturers. Therefore, any card that fits that description should be added to the list.

Now, the real question is where do they go...regular list or oddball??

Old 03-16-2008
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 6327

reg list on the"OVER SIZE PROOFS"!!!!!!! 1/1 list on the press plates,i do not care if they came from packs,the back door,or fell from the sky!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2008
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 5041

I think there will be more people listing their collections in full, if they believe that there is a posibility of reach the 100% of a particular year, but if every now & then a card that is not part of the regular production is added to the list the percentage goes down instead of increase making almost impossible to reach the 100%. In my opinion every backdoor card, proof card, error card etc should go on the "odd"ball" list. What are the odds of find an error card that is not part of the regular production, one in a million? I have like 10 different backdoor press plates that are not listed, i don't care if they are listed or not, nor the procedence of them. Let's make possible to reach the top on the main list, and list everything else on the oddball list. No offense!
Old 03-16-2008
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

you can not do that! would you like to have the serial # to 5 that you have all 5 of put on the oddball list? NO ONE ELSE WILL GET ONE! what about all the #/2 cards? no one will ever get 100% of all the cards from 1996-2005 not even a single one of those years. way to many very rare cards. the ony way that will happen is if the human race were to become almost wiped out and about 500,000 people were left,and someone went around to all the card shops and into peoples homes that were dead,and took all the cards they could find. that would be the only way it could happen. sounds morbid,but thats about the only way it could happen. if that did happen who the hell would care about a card collection! NOT ME! NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE,JUST VERY UNLIKELY.

Last edited by nosterbor; 03-16-2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: CORRECT
Old 03-16-2008
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I’m an uneducated (high school and 12 credits from community college) layman who has worked in a manufacturing plant the last 31 years. But I have some printing and blanking press machine experience to share. First they seem to be confused about printing plates and press plates. Printing plates will be the mirror image of the card and press plates will be the normal image. I feel most think they are the same thing but press plates would go behind the printing plate.. But they seem to use both terms for the press plate. Most have only one press plate. There is little reason to have more except for resale I guess. Normally because of the color mix they end up black.

Must cards are run through a four color printing machine and sheets are 27” X 40”. They are then run through a blanking press that has 5/16” to a ½” of lead trim and 1/8” to 1/4” of inside and perimeter waste that is carried through the machine and in to waste bins.

You can look up baseball sheets on Ebay and will see that some sheets have a profound borders and some don’t but either way it will be the same picture if you cut it out with scissors except the border will be bigger as you can take from the other surrounding cards or the picture itself will continue a little longer to make a bigger card. The machine has what they call lay stops that advise you if it was inserted correctly into the machine but sheets are transported into the machine with a vacuum system and can be within 1/16” on every sheet being feed.

I haven’t run a machine since they took my tools away from me and have never seen a baseball sheet made but cigarette packs to display boxes can’t be that different.

I have many sheets from the yearly 90’s as I had a friend who owned a recycling plant that had some sent to them to be recycled into fiber board. If I wanted to get rid of them, which I don’t, I would be wise to cut the more popular playing cards out a little larger and call them a proof and would surely improve my income from them. Yes I could also make a regular card but what value would that be to a collector.

Here is a picture of me some 15 years ago in a brochure that our company had made with me working on a 35 x 48 Bobst blanking machine.

I will not change my stance on oversize cards unless there is an appearance change other then a bigger or extended surface because of the above knowledge. At best they could be added to the oddball page but then do you add the known sheets?

Stepping off my soap box,
Jonas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	one.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	943  

Last edited by jjt111; 03-17-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-17-2008
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

on the sheets you have are the pictures larger? have you looked at the 96 gallery card i put in a post? can you explain this as coming from a sheet? not to sound neg,but i do have an inside track of how these were printed as i explained in a past post. as for the jimmy dean its 15% larger than a reg card,the whole card not just the border. i will send you a copy of the post over size proof and the jimmy dean.it is hard to compair in just a photo. when you get them let us know what you think.it might sheet some light on this subject.
Old 03-17-2008
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 5041

Please send copy of those to me too, I want to take part in that judgement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosterbor View Post
on the sheets you have are the pictures larger? have you looked at the 96 gallery card i put in a post? can you explain this as coming from a sheet? not to sound neg,but i do have an inside track of how these were printed as i explained in a past post. as for the jimmy dean its 15% larger than a reg card,the whole card not just the border. i will send you a copy of the post over size proof and the jimmy dean.it is hard to compair in just a photo. when you get them let us know what you think.it might sheet some light on this subject.