Juan Gonzalez Juan Gonzalez Online Juan Gonzalez
Forum Bio Stats Pictures Articles Links Collecting
corner   corner

Go Back   Juan Gonzalez Online > Player Discussion > Juan Gonzalez
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Juan Gonzalez News, stories, collecting, anything about Juan.

Old 10-16-2010

Cards: 2316

Default Card shows

Went to my first card show today in about seven years. Got quite a few humorous reactions when asking the dealers if they had any Juan Gonzalez cards. This was at the Chantilly Show near Washington DC. Despite only finding four dealers that had any Juan cards, I picked up a couple of bat/jersey/patch/autograph cards numbered to 25 and another numbered to 10, along with a bunch of 1990 Upper Deck rookies, various Gold Medallion and insert cards out of a 10 cent box, as well as a handful of jersey cards numbered to 200/250.

How are the card shows in Texas? I have this vision of table after table full of Juan Gonzalez cards. I'm guessing most dealers bring their Juan stuff with them to the shows.
Old 10-17-2010
Veteran Member

not at all - even in his playing days, Pudge cards were always hotter. I picked up Juan stuff cheap even in the early days of ebay until Dan outbid me on 538 cards.
Old 10-17-2010
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 6327

the shows in Florida are B A D! i ask for any Juan cards and when they pull out rookies,i say nice i have a monster box full.do you have any high end of his? they say i didn't think he had high end stuff.then i start with these.

1990 Donruss Aqueous Test #33 Juan Gonzalez RR
1993 Pinnacle Cooperstown PROMO #25 Juan Gonzalez
1997 Collector's Choice Crash the Game Instant Win #CG30 Juan Gonzalez
1998 Collector's Choice Crash the Game Instant Win #CG28 Juan Gonzalez
1998 Collector's Choice StarQuest Home Run #18 Juan Gonzalez/100

and i tell them i would pay 5x book and they look at me like i'm NUTZ!
Old 10-17-2010
Veteran Member

Cards: 630

I travel a lot on business. Before ebay, the only way to get cards was at baseball cards shops. I have been to a lot of card shops all over the USA that I am sure are no longer in existence. Asking for a Juan Gonzalez cards at a lot of shops was as useless as tits on a bull. I cannot tell you how many card shops I visited without one purchase. That was even before Chris, Jonas, and Aircorp1 started buying all the cards on ebay. The Juan Gonzalez cards on the west coast shows were easier to pick up since there was very little competition. If you go to a show on the west coast now the dealers tell you they left his cards at home becuse there is no demand.
Old 11-20-2010

Went to a local card show today and picked up a few cards

2003 Leaf Limited TNT #25/25
2003 EX Essential Credentials Future #4/35
2000 Vanguard Green #91/99
Also a few other serial numbered inserts.

Anyone else picked up anything at a card show recently?

I think that someone on here collects Rusty Greer. Shoot me a pm. I picked up a card for you that I had thrown into a deal.
Old 11-21-2010
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

where do you live? i have not gotten a Juan card at a show in 5 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the shows here SUCK same dealers same crap time after time! and they all cry the don't make table money! wounder WHY! every thing here is yankee this red sox that. makes me SICK!
Old 11-21-2010

I live in Virginia Beach. I went to a show here last month and spoke to several of the dealers. They didn't have their Juan stuff with them last time, but they are starting to bring it with them now. I'm hoping that the ones who travel to other shows keep their eyes open for other Juan cards for me.

I was actually down your way last week (well, kinda, sorta). I was playing in a baseball tournament down in Ft Myers at the Twins and Red Sox spring training facilities. Weather was gorgeous.
Old 11-21-2010
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

it is 81 today!
Old 12-11-2010

Picked up an interesting one today at a card show. It's one of those Topps Vault proof cards of Juans 2000 Gold Label, class 3 card. Anybody know what those things go for? I paid $20.

Also picked up a 2001 Fleer Premium Diamond Patches card hand numbered to 100. If anyone needs it, I've got two of these now and may be up for trading one of them for a similar patch card.

I purchased a group of 300 different cards from one dealer. I ended up needing about 30 cards out of that box. I guess it helps that I still need so many cards.
Old 12-12-2010
Veteran Member

I actually went to a show in Arlington today - I found one Beckett Sample and also picked up a Mach III #ed 001/500 + 14 other cards and spent $4 total. Its kind of sad as there were only 6 dealers at the place. One was football only and another had pre 1970's stuff only. One didnt have a single Juan. One had a few and I spent $3 w/ 1 guy and $1 w/ another. All in all, it was worth going since I had to travel right by there anyways. I would not have driven the 15 miles otherwise.